Sunday, January 13, 2013

Saya chiku!


I’ve been in Kuala Lumpur for about a week now. I’ve battled jetlag, dodged motorcycles and sweated streams. I’ve relished Durian, climbed up to Hindu temples, witnessed protests and sat through hours of intensive Orientation….

I shall recount some of my adventures later, but I’ve been feeling rather guilty about my blog negligence. So, I shall leave you with one very brief description of one of my first cultural bumbles:

A kindly (albeit amused) shopkeeper informed me last night that I was mispronouncing the word for teacher. Apparently, because of a mix up between an e and an i, I have been proudly introducing myself as some sort of Malaysian fruit.

The scenario: 

“Selamat pagi! Nama saya Julia…..(Intermediary small talk ensues. Following a question about why I am in Malaysia, I respond enthusiastically:) Saya chiku!

What I think I’m saying: Hello! My name is Julia! …I am a teacher!

What I am in fact saying: Hello! My name is Julia! I am a berry! (What type of berry you ask? Namely, a “large ellipsoid berry…with a grainy texture akin to that of a well-ripened pear.”)

Wonderful. I guess that explains some of the bemused looks from previous conversations…
An auspicious beginning, yes?


No comments:

Post a Comment