Monday, January 7, 2013

Nomenclature


To some it is known as the “moving sidewalk”, to others the “horizontal escalator.” Some particularly creative folk have found “horizontalator”, the “movealator”, or “the walkalator” to be adequately descriptive names.

While all these monikers are quite good, the one that I have just discovered, and which I like the most is: “The Travelator.”

Why do I like this word?

  1. It sounds like some impressive device from a Sci-fi film full of time travel, Einstein-haired men and aliens.
  2. When exhausted in an airport and searching for a mode of transportation between terminals A and Z, which would you rather suggest to someone? 
    • “Oh gee whiz, this airport is enormous and I’m tired. Let us go take that moving sidewalk over yonder.”
    • OR
    • “Oh gee whiz, this airport is enormous and I’m tired. Let us go take … THE TRAVELATOR!!!” 
  3. As just emphasized, it is a word that one cannot say without considerable enthusiasm or gusto.
  4. It is also a word that I believe Arnold Schwarzenegger would say particularly well.
  5. Maybe if I continue making proclamations as in no. 2, I will find myself transported into situation no. 1, one that does in fact involve time travel, Einstein-haired men and aliens.
More seriously though, I like the word for what it represents in my life. Physically defined, a Travelator is simply a “slow moving conveyor mechanism that transports people across a horizontal or inclined plane over a short to medium distance.”

However, in my present situation, neither short nor medium distances apply.

Instead, the Travelator that I have just ridden has transported me across the rather impressive distance of about 9100 miles to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. While I may have written some of my sci-fi allusions in jest, is not travel to a foreign country much like being transported to another world? Every moment, am I not bombarded by new sights, sounds, and flavors? The customs of another culture—before I learn its language, adjust to its subtleties, learn to appreciate its complexities and idiosyncrasies—are they not quite alien to me?

This particular adventure has begun… thanks to my good ol’ metaphorical Travelator. Sure, I may be gone from the familiar comforts of home and all those I dearly love, but hey, in 10 months or so…. I’ll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment